Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Scentsy Convention 2012 Day 1


The time has come for my Scentsy convention once again.  I’ll recap last week before I move in to the fun that’s sure to come this week. 
Last week my girls (all three of them) went to my parents’ house for VBS.  Originally, the plan was for just Adelaide (6) and Lucy (4) to go, but a few days before they were coming, my mom asked if Julianne could come, too.  I was torn.  Last year she stayed home with me and we enjoyed some time with just us.  She doesn’t get a lot of one on one attention being the youngest.  However, this year, she really knows what’s going on.  If she asked where her sisters were and I had to tell her they were at Mimi and Pops’ house, she would have been devastated! 
So, I talked it over with Jason and we agreed it would be good for her (and me) to go. 
I’ll admit, I’ve had a rough summer.  It’s hard being the main person at home all day every day…. Without a break.  And I was beginning to be at the end of my rope.  The girls were tired of me and I was pretty tired of them, too.  I know, we aren’t supposed to say that out loud, but that’s the truth.  We all needed a break.  So, I packed them all up and Jason and I drove them to Fulton, Mississippi to meet my parents.  They were so excited!!!  It was a quiet drive home, but I must admit, I haven’t felt so relaxed in a long time. 
I tried to talk to my girls every day, but Adelaide was the only one that would humor me with a conversation.  Lucy and Julianne were simply too busy to talk.  And busy they were!  They went somewhere for just about every minute of every day.  I’m so thankful for wonderful parents that take the time off of work and spend it with my children.  I know these are memories my girls will cherish forever. 
Speaking of doing fun stuff with Mimi, my girls are revealing more and more every day what they did with Mimi that she didn’t tell me.  They ate a lot of fast food.  We eat a lot of Chick Fil A, but that’s just about the extent of our fast food consumption… aside from an occasional trip to Arby’s.  Adelaide loves McDonalds, but that only happens on special occasions. 
My mom, brother and sister in law thought it was crazy that my kids didn’t know what a Frosty was!!  Haha!!!  Well, now they do!  And yesterday when I was talking to a friend, Adelaide barges in with, “Mom!  I want some cinnamon sticks from Taco Bell!!!”  huh???  We’ve never taken them to taco bell.  In fact, I haven’t eaten at taco bell since college.  I asked Julianne what else she ate at taco bell.  I asked if she ate a taco, no.  A quesadilla?  No.  Rice? No.  Beans?  No.  All you got was cinnamon sticks??  NO!  I also had fruit punch.  Great.  When I asked my mom about it, she said, yeah, they got FRUIT punch!  That’s pretty good right!?  Considering there’s exactly 0 fruit in fruit punch, I wouldn’t consider it good.  She responded with, well, I didn’t let them have coke.  Well played, mom.  They’ve never had coke.  Nor do they need coke.  Ever.  J
Last night, Lucy wanted to show off her new “reading” skills and she brought down a book where everything started with a “W.”  She went through them all and I asked her if she knew anyone whose name started with a “W.”  We said Wa-wa-will.  And I said Wa-wa-wendy (since we go to church with a couple of Wendys), and she said, “Oh yeah!  Wa-wa- Wendy’s!”  Great……
I say all that while smiling, of course.  You aren’t supposed to eat healthy at Mimi’s house.  Although, my memories from eating with my grandparents revolve mostly around butter beans and other yummy stuff from Papa’s garden, I do remember eating a pretty good amount of Reese’s peanut butter cups…. And sweet tea.
I’m thankful that my girls are home and I know they are glad to be back to their normal routines, too, but they sure do miss their Mimi and Pops… and all the perks that come with being away from mom and dad. 
My mom tells me of a time when they were out at 10 (!!!!) and Julianne said, “mimi, it’s way past my bedtime.”  It was in fact, and we are back to a 7:30 bedtime and limited snacks and water or milk to drink… with some fruit JUICE mixed in every now and then. J
I am so excited about my trip to Vegas!  I do, however, wish the timing were different.  We got to Memphis Friday evening and came home Sunday.  I got one day at home to finish getting everything ready and spend some time with my girls, and now I’m on a plane to Las Vegas for the rest of the week.  I already miss my family. 
Jason set the coffee pot to start this morning with my 4:15 alarm clock and he even got up with me to bring me a cup.  He helped me to the car with my suitcase and waved goodbye as I drove away.  What a sweet husband.  I honestly can’t think of anything I would change about him.  Except maybe for him to be easier to shop for … giant shoes and really long pants are hard to find.
J
I find myself very thankful and humbled by being blessed with such an amazing husband. 
My flight arrives in Las Vegas this morning at 10:35 and we have a limo tour planned for tonight.  I pray this limo tour is harmless… I’m a bit leery of everything in Las Vegas.  Things I think will be innocent quickly go the other way there.  Scentsy has a ton of fun stuff planned for us while we’re there.  Including a FLASH MOB!  I so wish I would have known about this a month or so ago.  I would so love to participate in a flash mob.  I guess it’s too late to get the moves down before tomorrow night!  Haha!!!
I can’t wait to find out what the new brand Scentsy will introduce is going to be!  There has been a lot of speculation, but I have no clue.  I’ll update as soon as I find out! 
Until then, I’m thankful for this opportunity to work for a company that is so super-charged with energy and excitement.  I’m thankful for an outlet that makes me feel like a grownup with interests other than just what time Julianne ate last and when I need to put the clothes from the washer into the dryer.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m so thankful that I’m able to stay at home with my children, but I really enjoy having something else to work on.  I’m glad I found the perfect fit!

No comments: