Saturday, June 30, 2012

Funky Town

I'm totally in funky town.  As in I'm in a MAJOR funk lately.  I love a routine.  I love a schedule.  I love some me time.  I love to sleep.  My kids also love all of those things (they just don't realize how much they love sleep yet).  And we aren't getting much of any of those this summer.  And that makes me funky.  Or grumpy... or both.... if there's a difference.  I'm not sure if my kids are actually more obnoxious during the summer or if it's just my irritability that makes them seem worse.  Jason agrees that they are being more annoying than usual.  I really think it's the lack of routine.
I admit, toward the end of school, I was begging for summer!  I was tired of packing lunches and getting Adelaide's backpack ready.  I was tired of carpool and waking everyone up.  I was tired of the busy run here and there life.  I was ready for some rest and relaxation.  Well, folks, summer hasn't held rest or relaxation for us!  I knew it wouldn't, but I was ready for some slower mornings.  Which we do have.  But those slow mornings have been full of whining and threats for them to go back to bed because it's not 7:00 yet.
Today is full of birthday parties.  And Jason's on call.  You know what I want to do?  I want to be happy.  I've spent the better part of the last 4 weeks being grumpy and tired and just downright aggravated at times.  Today I want to relax and be happy.  I want to at least try to enjoy my children.  I want to remember that they're little once.  I want them to see that I'm glad they're here.
Don't get me wrong.  I love them.  I even like them sometimes.  But, let's face it, the daily woes of parenthood are tough.  I'm tired of being a referee.  I'm tired of saying the same thing every day (note thursday's post about writing on the walls).  But raising kids that are fun to be around is hard work.  I'm thankful that I had a good talk with a good (new) friend yesterday that shared the same feelings.  I'm not alone!!!
Anyway, I'm sharing this with you because I want to be accountable.  I'm sorry if you've been on the receiving end of my yuck.  I'm going to try to do better.  And please don't copy and paste this into an email when school starts and I'm crying for summer again, m'kay?  j

*on a side note, I have't been to the gym in approximately forever because of vacation and sick kiddos and VBS and Jason's training for a marathon (that doesn't actually have anything to do with me not going to the gym other than I'm jealous that he's super in shape and I'm dumpy... still)... and I know that  my lack of sweating (other than because it's really hot outside) is one big reason why I want to slap everyone around me... I do plan to change that today.  YMCA, get ready... I'm comin' back!

No comments: