Sunday, May 13, 2012

Servant's day

This week has been crazy.  So many obligations, so many things on the calendar.  So much stress.  But I made it and I actually enjoyed most of it.  :)
You know, I have people ask all the time, how I do it all... or why.  I think I know why.  I like to serve.  The Lord calls us to be servants.  And I don't think that only means the "big" stuff.  I don't think that only includes the obvious things we should be doing as servants.  I think that means that we literally show our love to others by helping.  By putting ourselves last and others first.  Isn't that what we're supposed to do?  I hope that my life exemplifies servanthood.
As a wife and mother, my husband and children need to come right behind my service and dedication to our Creator.  And a way that I serve Jason and my girls is to work for them.  I do a lot of that without them even noticing.  They don't think about how those clothes got in and out of the washing machine... or how all that food got into the pantry.  They don't think about who dusted that table or why the power is still on (other than that one time I didn't pay the power bill for 3 months because they switched me to paperless bills and then didn't send me an e-bill either.... that's another story for a different day).   And I like it that way... most of the time.  Every now and then I'll decide that I've hadituptohere with being a servant and I'll act like a total fool and then I'll feel like a total fool... which usually includes a lot of crying and being overall ridiculous.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch,.... that's one of the reasons why I sign up to do so much.  You need help making copies, I'll do it.  You need someone to go on a field trip, I'm your girl. You need someone to drop everything they're doing, make a picture of all 20 children in the kindergarten class, print them in an hour, cut them into circles, paste them on a paper christmas tree and hang it in the lunchroom with a hot glue gun that will only plug up 45 feet from my assigned christmas tree.... m'kay.  Seriously, having a child in elementary school is a full time job.  You need someone to come and sit all day and hand out cookie dough.  Let me get a sitter.  Field day, of course.  Oh no, not just my child's class... all of them.  Absolutely.  Kindergarten end of the year party.... by all means.  That's seriously just this week... well all but that Christmas tree fiasco... but I'm still bothered by that one. :)
But you know what... that makes me feel good.  I like to be the mom that's always there.  Adelaide may not appreciate it now, although I think she does to an extent, but she will one day.  My mom was always there.  I rode in the middle of her backseat surrounded by friends (usually double-buckled) on every field trip I ever went on.  She brought popsicles, bought teacher gifts and made every dress I wore for my yearly pictures for 18 years.  Well... almost.... until I held a revolt against the giant collars and smocked pencils... around the 8th grade.  I kid... but it was too late.  :)
Service is the way I show my love and dedication to my husband, my children, and those around me.  I'm usually exhausted and overwhelmed, but I feel genuinely helpful and productive..... and never lazy.  And that's a good feeling.  I think it's still considered service when you are doing those kinds of jobs.  Don't you?
I have written on my planner my life motto for this year...
"Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you.  For He made you."  I hope that through my service at school and elsewhere I can show someone the love of Christ by being there.  Just being there.   So, if you ever ask me "How do you do it all?"  I don't normally have a good answer, but I think the Lord just gives you the strength to go on when you have the heart of a servant.

"Give me the heart of a servant, tender and faithful and true.  Fill me with love and use me, oh Lord, so that the world may see You."

No comments: